‘Welcome to justcutebabyclothes.com, it is nice to meet you here. We hope you enjoy the content we created for you. We like to advise you that some of the links within this content are affiliate links. If you would make a purchase using one of those links, we may receive a small commission with NO extra cost to you’.
Several months ago, I started to have an interest in reusable nappies. I have looked into reusable nappies previously, but I felt quite overwhelmed. So many different brands, designs, and the pricing can be quite firm too. Quite honestly, the start-up costs are one of the things that made me feel hesitant to start in the first place. Even though I was considering to buy a few different trial packs of various brands, I changed my mind to go with pea pod cloth nappies as this felt like the most convenient deal.
In this review, I give you an overview of my experience of using pea pods for my 10-month-old baby.
Peapod starter pack
So I decided on the starter pack for various reasons. The nappies are one size fit most. Ten complete nappies are coming in the starter pack, and this is including shell and the bamboo insert.
On top of this, you receive the trial pack for free if you order the starter pack. The trial pack include one nappie, one insert, 1-night booster, one roll of the bamboo liner and one wet bag.
I paid for the starter pack, including ten pea pod. One size fits most nappies are $199.50. This way, It works out $19.95 per complete nappie. If you but the nappies individually you pay $24,95 per whole nappy. That is relatively cheap compared to many other cloth nappies from other brands.
Price Peapod nappies
For nighttime there are boosters available, these have to be purchased separately, any additional bamboo inserts have to be ordered separately.
When purchasing a starter pack by peapods.com, you receive a starter kit as a gift including one more nappy, a night booster, a roll of the bamboo liner and one wet bag. I thought this was a pretty good deal. They also offered me free shipping.
My nappies arrived
After ordering my Pea Pod cloth nappies I was excited to get started, I was happy that the box with nappies arrived
not long after I ordered, this went very well. Every nappy was individually wrapped in a wet bag, the same design as the chosen nappy. The bamboo inserts looked honestly fantastic quality, and I was excited to start using something rather natural on my bubs bum instead of synthetic materials.
Prepping Pea Pod Nappies before use
I had chosen some cute designs, and the quality looked terrific. The recommendation is to give the insert and boosters first a few washes or to soak them in water for some time. How the more the material gets washed, the better it works.
The sides of the nappies are adjustable with brah straps. There are three sizes you can adjust the to, size to, S, M or L. They arrived positioned on M, and I left it like this to see how this fits. Ones adjusted to the correct size for your baby you shouldn’t have to worry about this anymore for until you babies have grown and the strep need changing.
When the inserts are washed and dried, we are ready to fold them in the nappy, making sure the soft side is facing up to touch babies skin. You can choose to place the insert in the pocket of the nappy. Additionally, you can set the insert on the top pushing the poppers from the insert on the poppers of the nappy.
I have chosen to try out bamboo liner as well, what should make it easier to clean soiled nappies, and place the thin layer on the top.
Now it is time to test the waters and find out of reusable nappies are my cup of tea? I am excited to start and love the look, so far, so good.
Using pea pod nappies
Cons of using Pea pod cloth nappies
- Leaks at day time– We had quite a few leaks throughout the first few weeks using Pea Pod cloth nappies. Perhaps some of the leaks could be blamed on not pre-washing, soaking the inserts sufficient before we start using the nappies. I have to say, with time we do a lot better now with day time leaks and the inserts seem to absorb a lot of liquid. We now change nappies after approx 3 hours and that works pretty well for us, but really, it all depends on the individual as every child is unique and one baby is a heavier wetter than. the other.
- Leaks at night time– At night time we have added the booster. I have to say, it is quite bulky all together, and I have been wondering how comfy this is for a baby. However, my main issue is that we kept having leaks. After washing the bed many times, I gave up on using pea pods on the night time. And we trialling more Eco-friendly disposable options for nightime.
- Adjustable straps not staying in place– The other side note I have to share with you is the bra straps to adjust the sizing. I am pretty sure this is not the most user-friendly way to manage leaking through the sides of the nappie. The straps suppose to stay in the position you left them in, including during washing. Unfortunately, this doesn’t happen to my pea pods, and I have to adjust the straps regularly.
- Sizing-I is also questioning the sizing as my baby is almost 10 kilo and I have to put the size on S to make the best fit, and still, I don’t feel confident that it is a tight fit an around the legs to minimize chances of leaks. I wonder how a small baby would possibly fit this nappy? I wonder if the nappies size are off or perhaps the sizing and design is not an ideal fit for my babies shape body?
- Pocket option-The last side note I like to make is the option to use the pocket in the nappy to place the insert. I have trialled this option and experienced the nappy getting wet on the outside.
- Washing nappies-Perhaps more challenging with runny bowel movements then instructed
- Bamboo inserts– The inserts are great but can take quite a long time before they are thoroughly dry.
Pros of using Pea Pod cloth nappies
- Beautiful inserts-, just keep in mind they take some time to dry.
- Super cute designs-The designs to choose from are super cute.
- Good quality-Nappies stay in a great condition after many washes
- Removal of Stains-Stains come out of the insert very easily, I use an old toothbrush and sunlight soap.
- Individual nappy bags-Great individual bags to take nappy on the go.
- Shipping-Free over $100,-
However we still use pea pod cloth nappies on day time and are quite happy doing so, I DO NOT highly recommend Pea pod cloth nappies to you as I think there are better options, but if you really want to try them anyway, consider to buy a couple first to find out how they work for you before investing in a full nappy set up.
You can browse some cute designs using the pink button below.
Washing Pea pod cloth nappies
When watching the instructions from pea pod nappies, it sounds straightforward to wash the nappies, and really, it is not too hard.
The only thing is that they don’t point out what to do if babies pooh is quite runny and you obviously can’t simply through the nappy in the washing machine as instructed in the user’s video. Even using the bamboo liner didn’t cover it for me as it still went everywhere most times. (This was when my baby was at a younger age).
Now my baby is older, and the bowel movements change, it gets a lot easier, but it is not always as easy as instructed in the youtube video in this article. It is displayed in the youtube video above perhaps a bit more idyllic than it would be in ‘real-life’. But overall, I don’t think the washing task is too hard.
Initially always follow up washing instructions as per the nappy you purchase as instruction per nappy are different, additionally you could check out the clean cloth nappy page on Facebook which is a very helpful education page.
Final thoughts on Pea pod cloth nappies
I like pea pod cloth nappies for several reasons, but I am not ecstatic about them though. They are not as convenient and high in performance as Rascal Friends nappies for me.
Very recently, I have trialled Big Softies reusable nappies and was quite impressed with the results of this cheaper nappy, if you are interested you can check out the review here.
However I am not ecstatic about pea pod cloth nappies, I still enjoy using them on day time, and overall they do the job. They also look super cute on bub, and I love the natural bamboo inserts. Perhaps they are just not a great fit to the shapes of my babies body.
The pea pod cloth nappies definitely won’t hold as much liquid as regular disposable nappies, but I don’t think that is a fair expectation. It doesn’t make sense to compare apples with pears, and the pea pod cloth nappies are a more environmentally friendlier choice which we love.
We also love the bamboo inserts in the nappies as it is a reassuring thought to have on natural material touching babies skin. They have the ability to absorb a lot of liquid as well but need a longer period to dry so I wouldn’t recommend this for a colder climate.
Of course, this review is my experience only, and even though we still using Peapod cloth nappies happily for day time, I DO NOT recommend PEA POD CLOTH NAPPIES as I think there are better options out there. However, if you really like to try them out and like to have a browse, I would recommend ordering a couple ONLY to try out things first and see how they work for you. If interested, you can browse some cute designs using the pink button below.
Final tips in using reusable nappies
The last thing I like to mention is to consider only to change the insert if the shell of the nappy is still clean. Utilizing this changing method in your routine will be a more sustainable way of using reusable nappies but only possible if the shell of the nappy is still dry and clean. If you intend to use the nappies replacing the inserts only (when possible), I would recommend ordering more inserts separately to have enough spares to do so.
If you have any more questions about my experience using Peapod cloth nappies, or you have experience with the product you like to share, please leave a comment below.
Thank you so much for reading my review, and I hope it information have helped you.
Hi there, my name is Jude and I am so happy to meet you here. I am the founder and owner of Justcutebabyclothes.com, a place to find lots of information in regards to cute baby clothes. You can visit us to check out lots of information on the latest fashion trends and various baby clothes styles available online.
However we write about various baby clothes styles, we feel especially passionate about organic clothing and sustainability, and you can find various articles on our site covering this topic.
Also, we have a special blog on our site covering lots of information on various baby topics and products we feel passionate about such as organic baby swing and safe eco toys.
For now, I will not hold you up any longer, but if you like to learn more about me, you can check it out here.
Best wishes to you all, and if you have any feedback for us, we love to hear from you.
Speak to you soon,